
WAEC Defends Integrity Of 2026 WASSCE Results Amid Threats Of Court Action
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has defended the integrity and credibility of the 2026 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) results, following mounting criticism on social media and a formal threat of legal action from an education advocacy group.
In a statement issued Thursday by its Head of Public Affairs, Moyosola Adesina, on behalf of the Head of the National Office, Dr Amos Dangut, WAEC said it had observed a “recent wave of public commentary,” particularly from content creators and social media commentators, questioning the accuracy, reliability and credibility of results released on August 5, 2026. The council maintained that this year’s results were produced through the same rigorous, transparent and quality-assured processes that have guided its operations for decades, in line with its standard operational procedures and relevant educational policies, developed in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Education.
WAEC explained that every candidate’s script undergoes a multi-tiered process involving marking, moderation and auditing, carried out by vetted subject experts using standardised marking schemes to ensure objective and fair scoring. While the council said it welcomes constructive scrutiny as part of its accountability to candidates, parents, schools and the public, it cautioned against the spread of unverified claims capable of causing unnecessary anxiety among candidates awaiting clarification on their results.
The criticism intensified after a social media user, whose post reportedly generated over 200,000 views on X, alleged a “disastrous glitch” in the results, particularly affecting candidates who sat the computer-based examination, and warned that the results needed to be withdrawn and fixed or face a court challenge. The post was widely shared across blogs and social platforms, fuelling broader public debate about the credibility of the results.
The controversy escalated further when the Initiative for School Excellence and Education Foundation, an education advocacy group, formally threatened legal action against WAEC over alleged irregularities in the 2026 Computer-Based WASSCE results. Through its legal representative, Zuriel Law Practice, the group issued a 14-day ultimatum in a letter dated August 14, 2026, addressed to the Head of WAEC’s Nigeria National Office in Yaba, Lagos. The organisation said it had received complaints from a “substantial number” of candidates raising concerns about the accuracy, reliability and verifiability of their results.
The group demanded that WAEC preserve all electronic and documentary records connected to the administration, processing, scoring and release of the results, including candidate response databases, system audit trails, server and application logs, scoring databases, correction records and technical reports relating to the computer-based platform. It also called for affected candidates to be granted access to their electronic examination records and a clear breakdown of how their final grades were calculated, warning that the matter could end up in court if WAEC failed to respond.
WAEC, in its defence, urged members of the public with concerns about their results to contact the council directly through its offices nationwide or its verified online channels rather than relying on social media speculation. The council reiterated its “unwavering commitment” to preserving the integrity of its assessment processes and safeguarding the interests of every candidate.
WAEC had earlier disclosed that 1,950,726 candidates sat the 2026 WASSCE, with 1,200,514 candidates, representing 61.54 per cent, obtaining credits in at least five subjects, including English Language and Mathematics. The council also withheld 167,486 results, about 8.59 per cent of total candidates, over alleged examination malpractice, including unauthorised phone use and organised cheating in some schools.
