
Pope Leo trans women Vatican snub
A group of 48 transgender women attended the Vatican’s annual “Jubilee Lunch for the Poor” on Sunday with Pope Leo XIV. The event brought together around 1,300 people, including migrants, disabled individuals, and homeless guests.
What sparked controversy is that none of these trans women were seated at the main table with the Pope unlike in previous years under Pope Francis, when trans guests had been given more prominent seating.
Some trans attendees saw this as a symbolic change: a step back from the more visible welcome they received under Francis. One of them, Alessia Nobile, even handed Pope Leo a letter “on behalf of the trans community,” but says he only “smiled.”
However, Cardinal Konrad Krajewski, who organizes these charity lunches, rejected the idea that this was a deliberate snub. He said seating was “random” and that the head-table seats went to parishioners who came earlier for an earlier Mass. He added that the trans activists “arrived later” and that it’s not about excluding them: “They’re an integral part of the Church.”
This gathering continues a more inclusive outreach that began under Pope Francis. Leo has made some quiet gestures in that direction too: he reportedly authorized a private Mass for LGBTQ+ pilgrims and has met with advocates for inclusion.
Still, his reputation is more conservative. He has emphasized traditional views on marriage (“between a man and a woman”) and has expressed caution about broader LGBTQ+ changes.
