
Prince Andrew police smear accuser
Prince Andrew, Duke of York is under fresh scrutiny following new reports that he allegedly enlisted police assistance to discredit his accuser, Virginia Giuffre, who claimed he sexually abused her as a teenager. According to a report in the Mail on Sunday, the prince reportedly asked a member of his personal protection team in 2011 to investigate Giuffre’s background by using her date of birth and U.S. social security number, with the aim of finding a criminal record or other damaging information.
The London Metropolitan Police confirmed that they are “actively looking into” media reports of the alleged request, though it is unclear whether the officer involved complied with it. Giuffre’s family has stated that she had no criminal record in the United States.
This development comes amid wider backlash against Prince Andrew for his ties to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and other controversies. The prince recently relinquished his Dukedom of York title and several royal honours, citing that the ongoing allegations have become a distraction to his brother, King Charles III, and the monarchy.
In the alleged email, Prince Andrew is reported to have told a royal aide that he had given Giuffre’s personal information “for investigation” by a protection officer, shortly before a photograph of Andrew with Giuffre emerged in public. Opposition politicians and independent observers have described the alleged referral of a taxpayer-funded protection officer to dig up dirt on an accuser as deeply concerning and inappropriate.
For his part, Prince Andrew continues to deny Giuffre’s allegations of sexual abuse. In 2022 he settled a civil lawsuit with her without admitting wrongdoing, though he acknowledged her suffering as a sex-trafficking victim. Giuffre died by suicide earlier in 2025 at the age of 41.
The current investigation now focuses on whether government resources and the protection officer’s role were misused for private or personal ends. The Metropolitan Police said they are assessing the situation and reviewing whether any offence occurred.
The allegations raise serious questions about power, privilege and the accountability of public-funded security personnel. They add to existing concerns about how high-profile individuals may influence or attempt to manipulate official processes. Whether or not charges will be brought, the report has generated intense media and public interest, potentially placing further strain on the British royal family and its public standing.
